In his book, God’s Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question—Why We Suffer, Bart Ehrman makes the case that neither Christians nor the Bible can answer why God, if He were to exist, would allow “the cesspool of misery and suffering” that many people endure. Ehrman says he couldn’t reconcile his faith with horrendous evils, and his book presents the reasons why.
• Problem 1: He Misreads the Bible and Impugns God’s Fairness
• Problem 2: Free Will and Natural Evil
• Problem 3: God Could Have Made Us So We’d Always Do Right
• Problem 4: Why Won’t We Abuse Free Will In Heaven?
• Problem 5: God Should Intervene More To Prevent Free Will’s Evil Use
• Problem 6: He’s Confused About the Free Will Defense
• Problem 7: The “Classical View” and the Holocaust
• Problem 8: The Strawman
• Problem 9: He Minimizes the Horror of Sin
• Problem 10: Special Pleading